Welcome to eCycle Florida Email 813-463-0079

cell phone recycling

Cell Phone Recycling Tampa

It is almost impossible to find someone who doesn’t own a mobile phone these days. Americans spend an average of 5.4 hours per day using their smartphones. The majority of Americans buy a new smartphone every 18 to 22 months. These statistics beg the question: What happens to our older, but still functional, cell phones? That’s why cell phone recycling in Tampa is the best solution to reduce e-waste in the city.

The sad truth is that only 10% of smartphones that are not used are recycled. The rest 90% end up being discarded. This translates to about 100 million mobile phones being dumped in the US. 

Why Is It a Problem to Destroy an Older Cell Phone?

One, many types of dangerous components and materials are found in electronic devices, including phones. Mobile devices, which are one of the fastest-growing types of electronic waste, pollute water, air, and landfills with lead, mercury, and other toxic chemicals. Mercury is linked to cancer and brain damage.

There are steps you can take that will help reduce pollution from your cell phone. It is possible to reuse and recycle up to 70%-80% of the material used in cell phone production.

How Does Cell Phone Recycling in Tampa Help in the Long Term?

  • Reducing carbon dioxide emissions. The carbon footprint of an Apple iPhone is 180.25 lbs CO2-e. This amount can be generated by burning 8 gals of diesel fuel. Statista calculated that the released CO2-e can be measured in megatons when you consider that there are 217 million iPhones sold each year. Reusing a cell phone can be used to make new products and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
  • You can save power. A recycled smartphone can save you the same amount of energy to run a laptop for 44 hours.
  • Stop mining and recover rare minerals. One million recycled cell phones can yield approximately 770 lbs of silver, 75 lbs of gold, and 35270 lbs of copper. All of these are perfectly reusable.

I Have a Working Cell Phone but Want a Newer Model. What Should I Do?

  • Selling is the obvious solution. However, it’s not always as easy as it seems. Many of us have busy lives that make it difficult to find buyers on Craigslist. This is particularly true during a pandemic or when eBay scammers are trying to take advantage of our time. 
  • Giving away your old phone to someone in dire need is another great way to get rid of it. Although it might not be the most expensive smartphone, it can be a huge help to someone who cannot afford the latest model. Secure The Call can help extend the life of your phone by donating it to someone in need of emergency use.
  • Use eCycle for cell phone recycling in Tampa. Give eCycle a call to recycle that old phone and help your environment!

Technology is constantly changing and obsolete gadgets are quickly becoming obsolete. However, there are steps you can take to ensure they remain in the rotation. These include reselling, donating, or reusing them for scrap metals. Not only will you save money, but also the planet’s future. We’d love to help you determine the value of your old technology.

Contact eCycle Florida Today

eCycle Florida is an R2 Certified electronics recycling company in the state of Florida. Our processes and procedures are dedicated to the proper destruction and recycling of your electronics. eCycle Florida is your go-to when looking for an electronic recycling center in Florida. Check out the services in the multitude of industries that we offer: 

We are happy to service areas all throughout Florida including:

Contact eCycle Today to get more information on all your eCycle needs and check out our 5-star reviews!

Electrical Waste

What Is Electrical Waste?

What Is Electrical Waste?

The EPA defines electrical waste as “used electronics that are close to the end of their useful lives and are discarded or donated or given back to a recycler.” This includes computers, mobile devices, appliances, hardware for home entertainment, and medical equipment. Anything that contains electronic components is considered e-waste.

While it is easy to define what electronic waste is, it’s far more complicated to sum up the complexity of the many issues that surround it. Special interest groups, private industry and governments have been focusing on reducing e-waste globally and managing the many challenges of electric disposal and/or recycling. There are many reasons to implement solutions. However, many people are not able to see the impact of these issues on their lives. This is why international efforts are often blocked at grass root level. More…